Under the Capital Markets and Services Act 2007 (CMSA), any person carrying on a business in any regulated activity must be appropriately licensed or registered by the SC. Corporations undertaking venture capital or private equity activity are registered persons under Schedule 4 of the CMSA.
To qualify as registered persons, Venture Capital Corporations (VCC), Venture Capital Management Corporations (VCMC), Private Equity Corporations (PEC) and Private Equity Management Corporations (PEMC) as specified in paragraph 2.01 of the Guidelines on Registration of Venture Capital and Private Equity Corporations and Management Corporations (Guidelines), must apply to be registered with the SC and comply with the provisions of these Guidelines.
At the time of registration, the applicant must have at least one responsible person for VCC or VCMC, and at least two responsible persons for PEC or PEMC, who shall be fit and proper for the position.
How to Register
Applicants are required to file the following forms in both hard copies:
- Form 1: Application for the Registration of Venture Capital and Private Equity Corporations and/or Management Corporations (MS Word)
- Form 2: Application for the Registration of Responsible Person(s) of Venture Capital and Private Equity Corporations and Management Corporations (MS Word)
A Venture Capital Corporation, Venture Capital Management Corporation, Private Equity Corporation or Private Equity Management Corporation is required to submit to the SC the following documents:
- Form 3: Annual Activity Report for VC/PE Registered Corporations*
- Form 3A: Mid-Year Filing for VC/PE Registered Corporations*
- Latest audited financial statements, within three months after the close of the registered corporation’s financial year.
* Registered corporations are required to submit both digital (in Excel format) and signed physical copies of the completed forms to the SC.
Getting in Touch
All applications for registration and periodic reporting submissions must be lodged with the SC using the forms prescribed by the Guidelines at the following address:
Authorisation and Licensing Department
Securities Commission Malaysia
3 Persiaran Bukit Kiara
50490 Kuala Lumpur